Thursday, January 28, 2010

We got good news concerning Eli last week, followed by a heartbreak for our family. Eli's blood test results at the middle and end of last year revealed hypothyroidism. This is apparently uncommon in children and more common in menopausal women. We don't know for sure what was causing the condition, but the Dr. assumes it was auto-immune--anti-bodies attacking the thyroid making it un-productive. The Dr. we were seeing last year didn't believe it was related to some of his skin issues. But the Dr. we saw over a week ago believed it could be related. He has probably had it since infancy. She re-tested his thyroid, and the good news is that his thyroid, which was progessingly getting worse, has CORRECTED and is now within normal range. In the last month we have seem major improvements in his skin. He will go days without scratching and the intensity of the itching has significantly improved. There are still a few trouble areas, and his severe reactions to food are still evident. But we remain hopeful. (oh, and by the way, did you know that the archaic word for "hope" is actually "expectation"?) I read this in a medical journal on line shortly after we got the last results :
"In the case of eczema low thyroid function can be a major cause of eczema. When the thyroid function is low, circulation is reduced. In advanced cases of hypothyroidism, the skin, in fact, may receive as little as one-fourth to one-fifth the normal blood supply. With reduced circulation, the nourishment supplied by food is reduced and, at the same time, waste products are not removed promptly and completely since the blood is the primary remover. The result is skin which is not normally healthy and the development of itching, swelling, blistering, oozing and scaling of the skin." (Barnes, pp.112-114)

This article went on to say that the skin is the last to heal. So we are just watching as he slowly gets better and better.

This was great news and we have been rejoicing. Unfortunately, it was quickly followed by some trauma. A sweet little lost dog found our home last Tuesday (over a week ago) and wouldn't take no for an answer. We all quickly fell in love with the little guy. He was potty trained, quiet, loveable, and fit right in to the family. I was not really excited about having a dog around the house, but eventually he would worm his way into my heart. He was especially fond of me--jumping in my lap when I would sit down, following me everywhere, taking one of my shoes hostage until I would sit and play with him. He must have had a female owner. But he loved Kevin, too, and they became buddies. I was suprised at how Kevin took to him so quickly. Lexi thought Sparticus (which is what we affectionately called him) was a "dream come true." And he was for her. She has wanted a dog since she could talk. Aaron, who shyed away from all dogs, declared shortly that "Sparticus must have dropped straight from heaven." And Eli just laughed at him all the time. It was a fun week of loving Sparticus. But this past Tuesday, little Sparticus escaped through the front door. While I was trying to get Eli down for a nap, the other 2 tried to get him back inside. They ran in crying saying that Sparticus chased a cat across the busy road. I told the kids to stay and ventured out to find him. I saw him and he saw me, and just as he stepped into that busy road to run home, a utility truck hit him. It was awful.
Fortunately, our sweet neighbor Harold, took care of matters as I consoled the kids and cried buckets with them.
So for a short 7 days, we were able to love on this sweet little dog. We miss him so much and wish we could have a do-over on that day. Ironically, I resisted Sparticus the most in the beginning, and yet, I think I have had the hardest time letting go. I would just love to hold him in my lap again.


Sparticus, we loved you and we were so glad you were in our lives for those short 7 days. We will miss you, buddy.



signature

2 comments:

Sweet.and.Sowers said...

I am SOOOOO glad to hear that Eli continues to improve. What a blessing! And what a heart break about Spartacus :(

Callie said...

Get another dog!!! A really good kind is a Bichon Friese, because they don't shed at all, they are small, really friendly, and I hated dogs until my mom brought ours home... they are that awesome. So get another dog!!
And I am so glad to hear that Eli is getting better:)